Veteran Directed Care
If you are a veteran, you may be able to receive support for living independently at home through the Veteran Directed Care program.
The Veteran Directed Care (VDC) program empowers qualified veterans to hire and supervise personal care aides to help with daily needs. The VA determines the eligibility of the veteran and qualification is based on the veteran’s level of need. Participants work with a dedicated MAS Care Coordinator to create a plan that fits their individual situation.
Who is Eligible for Veteran Directed Care?
Veteran Directed Care is available to veterans who meet these three criteria:
- Are residents of Missoula or Ravalli Counties
- Are enrolled in the VA Health Care System
- Are determined to be eligible by doing a Geriatric Extended Care Assessment (GEC) with the VA
Because this program is self-directed, participants must also be able to coordinate their own care, or designate an individual to manage services on their behalf.
How Does the VDC Program Work?
Each participant (or their representative) is responsible for hiring, training, scheduling and managing their Personal Care Aide (PCA). Participants may hire family members or friends to be their PCA, or may advertise in the community.
Personal Care Aides can help with various everyday tasks:
- Assistance with personal care such as bathing, dressing and grooming.
- Assistance with household tasks like cleaning, shopping, laundry and meal preparation.
MAS staff check in regularly to provide support, and manage payroll for the PCA through 406 Financial Services.
How to get started
Are you interested in the VDC program and already enrolled with the VA Health Care System? Follow these steps to get started:
- Request a GEC (Geriatric Extended Care Assessment) from the VA
- If the VA approves you for the Veteran Directed Care program, contact us at (406) 728-7682.
If you need to enroll with the VA Health Care System first, find out how to enroll here.
More Information About the VDC Program
Click the link below for further details about the VDC program: